Sunday, March 4, 2007

To Shave or not to Shave ( Pour raser ou pour ne pas raser )

It was that time of the year in South Africa again ... The CANSA shave-athon.

For the odd lost Australian reading this blog entry. This in the one where we actually beat you at something more worth while that whipping you in the tri-nations rugby. Just to recap. South Africa has officially beaten the Australian’s at the race to the Guinness World Record for Cansa Shavathon 2004. “The most heads shaved in 24 hours was 23,069 at several different locations around South Africa for the CANSA Shavathon from 2 - 3 April 2004.”

http://www.shavesa.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=5

We look forward to the record challenge :) Once again this weekend I was faced with a daunting decision. To shave or not to shave. For those of you unlucky people that know me. I am surprisingly vain. Although I might not always show it :) So shaving off my hair and packing away the styling putty was a tough decision.

As I work in the corporate field the thought of scorn and abuse from colleagues and clients almost got the better of me as I seldom deal well with critique. As one of my best friends commented at breakfast that morning. "Please don’t shave your head again my buddy - just spray it green or something" Even my loving wife jumped at the opportunity to plead for a few seconds. As we walked up I won’t forget her words. "If you want to shave your head my baby, you must do it, it is for a good cause" Did I mention I love her to bits. She and our youngest sported beautiful silver and blue streaks in support of the good cause.

As we approached the clipper crazy, head shaving lunatics in East Rand Mall, I could not help myself and had to fight hard to suppress away a tear or two. You see: For years my late mom (Bénissez son âme) suffered in silence under the ruthless rule of cancer. Not once did she utter a word of disdain or retribution in question of her looming fate. Not once did she stop living. Not once did she stop loving life. She kept on fighting right to her last breath.

This got me thinking. How far will we go to life our lives? Day in and day out we live in the hustle and bustle of our daily routine. Seldom do we stop to take a breath of fresh air and re-focus on life. Shaving my head this weekend was almost like being re-born. For a short while I felt free. Like I was released from the pressures around me. Then it hit me. Why do we always wait for special occasions to show support? Yes we do achieve a level of solidarity when we do this as a nation, but is this enough. Well I am sure as hell not going to preach to you as I am sure you get that more than enough on a daily basis in some form or another. When will we however wake up and smell the roses.

I spend countless days trying to figure out things in live that don't make sense, things that are supposed to make sense and things that are pretty senseless :)... so herewith my few cents worth...

  • Try not to complain ... someone else always has it worse than you ...
  • Be thankful for what you have and make the most of it ...
  • Don't wait to live life, because life does not wait for you ...
  • If you take a back seat in live you can never complain as you are not driving...
  • There is only one person in charge of your destiny and that is you ...
  • You receive one true gift in live and that is the most fruitful and dangerous gift... the power of free will .. the trick is pointing it in the right way to gain meaning from your actions ...
  • All things in life happen for a reason ... pure physics .. "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" ...
  • There is no better drug in live that love ...
  • There is no greater fate than death


Well that is all from me on this sunny Monday morning. I hope you will come back and attempt to read some of my future revelations.

PS: When shaving your head ... it is a good idea to put sunblock on if you are going into the sun.

No comments: